Stepping milestones

Today is an important day for me.

It’s not a birthday. It’s not an anniversary.

I don’t have any exciting plans for today. I’m not launching anything. I don’t have an announcement to make, a revelation to share or even a particularly brilliant point to make.

But today is an important day for me.

I talk about lots of things here on the blog. I talk about words. I talk about books, music, my health and fun activities to do with the kids.

I don’t talk much about my husband in this space. Mainly because when I have something to say to him, I just say it to him.

But it leaves the blog looking a little lopsided. So here’s a WPDA (written public display of affection) to attempt to redress the balance.

And because, as I said, today is an important day for me.

You see, exactly half my lifetime ago, I started dating someone. (This is possibly a generous description of how we got together, but let’s roll with it.) I’d had a mega-crush on him for a few months and thought he was waaaaaaaaay out of my league.

He was gorgeous. He was funny. He was smart. He was gorgeous. He was generous. He was sporty. And did I mention he was gorgeous? Totally the cutest guy in school!

I didn’t think I had a chance. So, half my lifetime ago, I couldn’t believe he was actually interested in me, too.

Cam and Em - school and early uni

This morning, when I woke up and saw that gorgeous face, a part of me still couldn’t believe it. (The not-so-inner geeky teen girl part, no doubt.) He’s still all these things. And he’s so very much more. I’ve spent half my life learning all about him, and I feel so incredibly honoured to be able to spend the rest of it learning even more.

From today onwards, I can say that I’ve spent more than half my life with this man.

Weddings-parties-everything-2

And it’s a wonderful feeling.

Cameron, thank you. Thank you for making your move, and for seeing something in me back then that I couldn’t yet see in myself. Thank you for the ups, and thank you for sticking with me through the downs. Thank you for teaching me, learning with me, growing with me and believing in me.

Thank you for being you, and thank you for helping me be the best me I can be. Thank you for our family. Thank you for us.

I love you truckloads.

(And you’re still totally the cutest guy in school.)

Do you have a soppy vomit-inducing message to share with your loved one? Load me up with more WPDAs!

Comments

Awww bless!! That’s so darn cute. I love you guys. Yes, I do have a vomit-inducing message for my loved one. It’s scheduled for our anniversary tomorrow :)

• Emily says

I’m not usually that good at it either. We either avoid the sop altogether, or overplay it to the point of sarcasm.

• Emily says

Thanks Bec. It was so weird looking through the photos! And also realising that digital cameras weren’t really around in our uni days. Feeling OLD.

2. Kit says

Naaawwww how sweet. I love hearing stories like this. I have known my hubby for over 20years in one way or another. Sometimes he drives me mental but I can’t imagine my life without him in it. xo

• Emily says

Thanks Robyna. That’s so lovely! Hubster and I were in different year levels, then he did year 12 over two years. I had no idea until I rocked up to school on the first day of year 12. Oh, hello gorgeous! You’re still here!

BEAUTIFUL words for your dear Cameron. Happy half your life with this lovely and loving man day! I met my husband when we were both 21 at a teaching conference dinner (admission: I went looking for a guy…LOL) , Our eyes met, our smiles smiled and I stood on his toes dancing and we have been together ever since. 46 years ago in October. Love has kept us together because we have lived some very tough times as well as the good ones. Love to you both. The children are blessed to have loving parents who aint afraid to show it! Denyse xx

• Emily says

EXCELLENT description of the day. Happy half my life with this lovely and loving man day. I’m going to make a card that says exactly that! Thanks for sharing your meeting story.

I’m not sure about the sporty part, as far as your concerned but the way you describe your future hubby… gorgeous, funny, smart, gorgeous, generous… could describe you as well. I’d be interested to know what he thought of you back then.

We’ve been together almost 23 years. So funnily enough in October when I turn 46, half my life.

• Emily says

Oh, that’s lovely. Thank you so much. Despite my general lack of coordination in my everyday life, I was actually really good at netball and quite good at volleyball. Especially back then. PCL stopped all that though!

5. Carol Hourigan says

What a lovely piece to put together for your special man Em. You are just as gorgeous. Keep up your writing & posts, good on you!!!

Aaaaaaw! Hi Cameron! Happy date-iversary! I have the same problem on my website – I don’t tend to mention my husband because I respect his privacy, but then I realised he actually gets a bit chuffed if I do mention him. I think I just need to check with him first and then go for it!

Of course you weren’t out of his league! Look at you two, you’re perfect together. Congratulations and thank you for sharing such a beautiful part of your life. xx

I love stories about young sweethearts still being so in love. It makes me believe in love at first sight. Congratulations. I hope I am as happy when I get to half my life with my man – eight years in.

• Emily says

Thank you! Although I’m not sure about love at first sight. I seem to recall one of our earliest conversations, pre-dating, being about the agony of having braces on the bottom teeth. HOT STUFF.

WPDA – I like it. Should definitely be more of them!!! Like you, I often look at my husband and can’t believe how lucky I am, even after all these years. Even better, he tells me he feels the same way about ME!

You’ve totally balanced out your blog persona with this gush! I love it Em – what a cute couple you guys make – cute kids too. You’re lucky to have found each other young. It’s a lovely feeling waking up with your bestie each day. Congrats lovely xx