When internet woes become internet woohoos

This post is sponsored by Vividwireless.

Unfortunately, I’m no stranger to internet connection issues. Long-term readers may remember I had a patchy connection for more than a month last year. I mentioned it here. And on Facebook. More than once. (In fact, sorry for all that whinging!)

For two months running, my mobile bill was more than five times its usual amount because of all the extra data I was using. When I pointed this out to my internet provider, I got the corporate jargon version of ‘my bad’.

So when the powers-that-be at Vividwireless asked if I wanted to try their product, I said, “Why yes, that would be wonderful. I could really use that. Thank you ever so much for asking.”*

*actual response: “HELL TO THE YES!”

Vividwireless-modem

I have a confession to make: I’m a bit of a technophobe. I swore I never would be; I have crystal clear memories of rolling my eyes whenever mum asked me to program the VCR growing up, or trying to patiently explain that you don’t have to double-click on internet links.

But now? Perhaps I’m old before my time. Or perhaps the Terminator put me off. If I get all up in the machines’ space, I’ll be one of Skynet’s first targets, right?

Vividwireless is a technophobe’s best friend. I don’t understand how the backend works. And I don’t need to. All I know is that I was sent a modem, I plugged it in, I visited a website, and hey presto! I haz internet. Hurrah!

No wires. No phone cables. No pleading with Telstra, or Optus, or (insert whoever’s coming third these days) to come and PRETTY PLEASE fix my connection issues it’s been a MONTH already and STILL nothing and WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME?!

Plug in. Click. Agree. And then enjoy unlimited downloads with 4G LTE internet access (with up to 10mbps download and 1 mbps upload) for $89 a month. Or set yourself a limit – plans start from $29 a month.

(I’m getting technophobe shivers from these technical details. Let’s move on to the review part.)

The connection has been great. I work from home, with writing and proofreading for corporate clients, managing several social media accounts and maintaining this blog being my three main daily jobs. That’s a lot of time online, and that’s a lot of pressure on my internet connection.

And I’ve not had a single issue. I even hooked up with my online friend Stan to start watching 11.22.63 using this connection. It was fabulous. (Both the connection AND 11.22.63. Has anyone else watched it? I’m only two episodes in. Does it stay fabulous right to the end? Is it the best Stephen King adaptation ever? Did they change the ending? I need to know! I’m scared! HOLD ME!)

You can find out more about Vividwireless here (and check if you’re in a coverage area here). You can order the modem online, or head to your local Harvey Norman or The Good Guys store. Too easy!

What do you usually use the internet for? What’s your connection like?

Comments

1. Seana says

Wahhhhh I need that modem now… Except it doesn’t cover where I am just now, in Orange. Boo! I’m sitting in the car on the side of the road using a Telstra Air hotspot!!

Am trying not to spend a fortune on mobile data …. we will see how long I last. Great to hear Vivid is easy. I love the idea of it.

• Emily says

Oh, boo! That’s a shame. I hear you on the mobile data – I actually had a call from my mobile service provider last year to see if I’d accidentally accessed something last year! They were surprised by my bills!

I’m a technophobe too but lucky for me, I married a technowhizz! Our internet is so dodgy these days – we keep promising ourselves to hunt down a new provider and this looks like a great option. Plus it’s so easy, even I could do it!

Our Telstra line has an annual crapout haha. The old lines in our area can’t deal with rain. Though we are supposed to have the NBN but don’t. I don’t know. It doesn’t make much sense to me. Vivid look great – I hope they go fully national as I’d love to grey nomad before I’m grey and they would be perfect for that.

• Emily says

Oh, how frustrating! And ha – I love that phrase: “…go grey nomad before I’m grey…” – sounds fabulous!

Reliable internet coverage was the bane of my existence the first few years we lived here. We only had mobile because neither Telstra nor Optus would/could hook us up with any kind of internet. So we relied on mobile internet with one of those USB modems you plug in to your computer and it was so annoying. We constantly had drop outs or no service, and the only thing we could figure was because we live so close to a RAAF Base we might have been getting some sort of interference (which they told us wasn’t it, and doesn’t make sense because we don’t have issues with our mobile phones). Eventually I got in touch with iiNet and they were able to hook us up with ADSL when the others couldn’t and we haven’t looked back We still have issues some days, but you gotta expect that with an aging copper service and being 2km from the exchange, but it’s certainly better than nothing, I can get all of my work done and we can watch Netflix with no issues. Can’t ask for more than that (well I could, NBN would be nice, but I’m dreaming!).

• Emily says

Oh, how frustrating! I’m getting some perspective for my own issues… oops! Glad you found a solution.

Must check coverage in my part of the world. I can’t even get Telstra wireless from my apartment and my mobile is unusable. I’m about to move so definitely looking for alternatives!

Thanks Em.

• Emily says

You’re welcome! I hope you’re in a coverage area. How frustrating to not even be able to use your mobile.

Oh that’s awesome Em as you know I get the internet sads out my way!! Sadly they don’t cover out my way. One day the powers of be will hear our country prayers – take on Telstra and give us perfect connection at great rates #heavenonastick

It’s interesting how much we need the internet to stay connected. I did see on SMH something about some areas in Australia being “black holes” for internet but these telcos continue to charge customers. So you’re probably not alone. We live right across the road from a Telstra exchange but we occasionally get horrible/slow connection and drop outs. We’ve also opted to get a “dongle” for times we need a reliable speed.

• Emily says

I’m actually quite close to the CBD, so it’s so hard to understand where our internet woes came from! Another reason I’m a technophobe, I guess.

Love hearing positive stories like this. I SHOULD look into it (I am just feeling relief from sorting a cheaper gas / electricity retailer – which has been on the list for a while). Will look into this now too – thanks!

I am glad for you!! Woooot. In Sydney we were with iinet who used Telstra’s old copper wires and they gave us the best service they could but…when we moved to the Central Coast we went with telstra to ‘bundle’ everything..phones, internet, foxtel and it was Ok. BUT, when we had 5 days of no internet thanks to major storms I could not be without my internet oh no I could not..I blog..I FB..I connect..so, I had a wireless internet thingy that I bought for when I was needing internet in the country when I worked. Suddenly that baby used a LOT of gigs and Telstra came to the party and gave me above allowance for nothing. This year we tried NBN…for no days..because they didnt turn up. I do not want to go NBN but we have to by the end of the year. it is fibre to the node..up the street to similarly aged telstra copper wires as were in Sydney. We are doooooomed. Denyse #teamIBOT

This is good to know. Our internet has been less thatn wonderful lately, though it’s still not bad. We are on a contract though.
    Also, I didn’t know 11.22.63 was on Stan. I have a free trial so I should check it out.

• Emily says

It’s so good! I’ve seen more now. They don’t follow the book exactly, but that’s necessary for an eight-part series where many viewers won’t have read it.

• Emily says

Agreed! Well, to a point. It’s okay to have hiccups. It is NOT okay, as the provider of a service for which I’m paying, to effectively shrug your shoulders for two months.

This sounds really interesting. We are actually about to have the NBN available shortly. I’m living in the hope that will end all my connection woes, but at the same time, don’t expect miracles!

I didn’t picture you as a technophobe. Your vast intelligence suggested to me that you would know how to do pretty much anything. Anyway,I was here for your internet woe days and I’m so happy you’re all sorted now. x

I loved 11.22.63 the book and was super excited to hear about the adaptation. It’s good as a series – had I not read the book as well I’d have LOVED it but as it was, I just really enjoyed it while lamenting the lack of detail and fundamental changes.

• Emily says

Yes, I’m done now and loved it! I’d really enjoy it if they did an extended series and included more from the book. I think losing the multiple trips back really takes a lot from the story. But a lot of viewers would have switched off – it would have been too samey. So I get it, but yes, there was lamentation here too!

14. Kit says

Em

I am one of the lucky ones. I have NBN to my home! It is awesome. But in saying that I have very good friends who live 10mins from me and they can even get ADSL yes you read that right NOT EVEN ADSL!! They rely on two different 3g providers because there is some cap or something I don’t understand. What I know is they were be in heaven if VIVID was available in Wollongong but it isn’t yet. I will be keeping my eye on it for them because I think that will happen before any NBN and even if that goes through they will only get it to the NODE which means the dead copper lines will still need to be used.

Vivid sounds like the answer to many problems for many people!

• Emily says

Yes, hopefully the coverage areas just keep on expanding! We’re considering a move to the country (long-term plans, not imminent) so we’ll face all of these considerations too.